In the fall of 2001 I got involved with polymer clay. So when it was time to make Christmas gifts I had the idea of using CDs as canvas and polymer clay as the paint. The 2 cats is my first attempt.
- I picked a design (stained glass designs work really well)
- I printed out the design on paper and cut it out.
- Then I used the cut out pieces as templates and placed them on top of the rolled out polymer clay and cut around it with an exacto knife
- Next I put the pieces back together, made sure they made good contact with each other
- and texturized parts of the design
- I baked it at the recommended temperature for the clay and let it cool off
- Finally I coated it with waterbased Flecto Varathane varnish and backed it again at 250°F for about 15 minutes.