Garbage Can Lid Mask #2

finished mask

finished mask

Late in 2003 I decided to create another garbage can lid mask. This time I used pale blue Rubbermaid garbage can lid. I had no design in mind and just went with the flow. This time I have now a digital camera so I could show the progression of my work.

First I primed the lid with a mixture of semi-gloss white paint into which I had mixed some drywall compound. I gave I two coats and let them dry well.

primed lid

Now I had a good look at the lid and decided on how to implement the curves of the lid.

initial design

initial design

I used my flexible ruler to create the center design and everything else just kind of followed. The design is painted with acrylic craft paints.

next level painted

next level painted

Then I decided to use a black marker to make a line where the different colors met. It looked to bare so I decided to use fabric paint to make dots. First I made the dots beside the black lines as can be seen in the green forehead area, then I realized placing the dots on top of the black lines was the way to go.

finished painting

finished painting

The painted mask looked ok, but it lacked character. So I applied one coat of water-based varnish. That was better, but still nothing spectacular. So I mixed some black paint into the varnish and rubbed it on the mask, wow now that gave it character. I am very pleased with the result.

side view

side view

This mask has a much more feminine look than my first mask.

 

 

 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *